If you remember, I had a set of goals for the year. Some work related, some personal. Some achievable, some just sort of there. Thought that we should take a look at how I am doing against them. If you are interested in taking a look back at the original post - it is here.
So, here we go.
1. Take Liz on a non-cycling vacation. I tend to be one track minded - 2 wheelers. She has tolerated that for a long time.
- I haven't really succeeded on this. We have been pretty focused on the new place up in the woods, and as a result riding our MTB.
2. See Pearl Jam. Rumors of a 25th anniversary concert.
- There are opportunities for this, but I still have not pulled the trigger. November in South America. Maybe, I could even combine this with number 1 and get all that done together?
3. Ride the Strade Bianche citizen race. - Got one!
4. Make a decision on our house. Keep it or sell it. - Done, keep it.
5. Ride Moab or Whistler or Fruita or something iconic - Not yet, time to get planning.
6. Do a MTB trip with Lloyd. - planned in July.
7. Learn to take tight switchback turns on my Slash. This was on my goals last year, and I failed. So...it remains. - Still failing.
8. Wave at all cyclists that I see. - I am doing pretty well at this one.
9. Drink more water. I should be drinking 116oz per day. - Check, I definitely need a bathroom a lot these days.
10. Get rid of all the junk in our basement. - Fail.
11. Do a road bike trip. I do like riding my road bike, and more importantly it is what Liz really really likes. - Fail. Year is not over, but nothing planned, so not looking good.
12. Master small and medium double jumps on my mountain bike. - I wish I had not put the word "master" in there. I am passable at best.
13. Learn to wheelie on both my favorite mountain bikes and my motorcycle. I have said before that this is a genetic skill. I am going to take the year and learn to wheelie, or at least just about kill myself trying. By the end of the year, I will either wheelie or it will be a lost cause. - feeling like a lost cause.
14. Take Liz and the girls to New York City. Liz has been all over the world, but not to NYC. - It is on my mind for the fall, but I have not been able to get it organized.
15. Change all my mountain bikes to 1X drive systems. Time to move into 2012. - check. Got this one done. I have owned my last front shifting mechanism for a MTB.
16. Ride Copper Harbor. - This is coming in August.
17. Ride at least 3 MTB Enduro races. - 3 on the calendar, so with any luck.
18. Ride a race with Noah.- I do not think this will happen, as he is not riding much.
19. Ride a race with Russel. - This should happen at the end of July.
20. Drink only great beer. - check.
21. Ride the State Championship CX race in Wisconsin. - Something always seems to come up. But, I am going to try.
22. Read 5 personal books. - Already past this one, so no worries.
23. Read 3 professional books. - should make this as well. I am 2 in, so only need another.
24. Get more involved with my community. Give time, get involved with a local cause directly. Find a good charity that we can align with. - I haven't really succeeded here. I am involved with a couple of things, but none are the thing I am looking for.
25. Preseason off-road training camp in late March before South Carolina GNCC . - failed.
26. Ride the Loose Moose Enduro. - Got this one in. I was a complete tourist, but I did it.
27. Finish on the podium at Ironman GNCC in my class. In 2011, I was 4th at Ironman GNCC, then 5th at the first Loretta’s and won the 2nd Loretta’s race. In 2012 I notched a 6th at Ironman and then 5th at Loretta’s. In 2013 I came 5th at Ironman. In 2014 I was again 4th at Ironman. Close, but not quite there.
28. Learn to use the rear brake while using the throttle on my 250F. I am still struggling with this skill. I think it is imperative for me to get this skill if I have any hope of winning a GNCC race. - I am doing much better.
29. Master flat corners on my 250F. - I am doing much better.
30. Get one of those really cool Bluetooth phone devices that allow you to walk along in the airport talking to yourself out loud. You look so cool while doing that. - fail on purpose.
31. Do all of my Christmas shopping from Sky Mall catalog. - now that Skymall is out of business, this probably will not happen.
32. Get a Babelfish installed. This whole multiple language thing has me baffled. - haha.
33. Put together the plan to climb Kilimanjaro with Liz. - Lots of Liz vacation type things in here, but this one is the biggie.
34. Help Ali and Thomas build a garage. - They are doing it, I just need to find a Saturday or 2 that I can help.
35. Finish my first Birkebeiner ski race in 10 years. - Got this one done.
36. Make 3 dance videos while traveling. - Not doing well with this one.
37. Make my bed every day. - I would say that I am over 50%, but everyday is tough.
38. Cut as much sugar out of my diet as I can. Sugar is the new boogieman. - trying, but Sugar is really good.
39. Build a little 2-stroke for tight woods races. - Did this, it was not my style of riding, so I sold it.
40. Go to a World Cup DH race.
41. Go to a World Cup XC race.
42. Go to a WEC MTB Enduro.
43. Go to Flanders and Roubaix pro races. - got 50% of this in.
There were a bunch of work goals as well. I am proud to say that I am doing much better there. But, these personal goals are tough. They are almost all things that take all year to get done. If I had to guess, I would say that I am going to get about 50%. That is not so great, so I better get going.