I have been waiting for so long. 365 days actually. It took a long time to get here.
I have thought that what I need is some resolution. Some goals. Since it is 2013, here goes. 50 goals. (Just seemed like a good number).
The 1st 13 are work specific, so I left those out. You know, top secret stuff. If I told you, well you know - you just cannot know that stuff. It could split the space time continuum and create a vortex. The future would see itself, and the alternate reality is created leaving us all with too many thumbs or something like that in the future.
Without any varnish, here they are. #14-#50, more or less. Some of the things were not evidence that I needed here in print. Some are big, some are small.
3. Take Liz to China
4. Ride Flanders race. The best road bike race of the year. If you can only go and see one race, it is the best one of the year. The course is incredible, the Belgian crowd is incredible. Riding it the day before the pro race is an unforgettable experience.
5. Ride Roubaix race. Paris Roubaix is the most absurd race of the year. The course is brutal, the weather can be brutal, it is not fun, it is not pretty. I have ridden the citizen race a few times. I will do it again because there is nothing like it.
6. Replace my truck with something that get’s much better mileage. I love trucks. Who wouldn’t want a truck. But, I do not like the gas mileage. I need to do better.
7. Buy a property near Camrock Mountain Bike trails. I plan to be one of 8 people in the whole state who can ride mountain bikes from their garage and their offroad motorcycle from their garage. I am really intoxicated with this idea. I really like what Cambridge is turning into. A great little mountain bike town in southern wisconsin.
8. Visit my father in North Carolina. He moved there a year or so ago, and I have not yet been there.
9. Do a complete savings evaluation.
10. Clean out my closet and drawers and cycling cabinet and moto gear. I have enough clothing and sports gear for like 3 people. I am going to cut that down to enough for 1 person.
11. Visit my friends in Chatel, go for a ride with my friend Lloyd. I have some very good friends in Chatel. It is one of the coolest little villages in France. I have a ton in common with my friend Lloyd, but we still have not ridden together. This year it will happen.
12. Go to a SX race. I like to do that once a year. They are really fun.
13. Sell my street motorcycle. I haven't ridden it in 2 years. It is taking up space.
14. Read 5 personal books. I have not been reading enough lately. 5 isn’t that many, I know. But, we have to start somewhere.
15. Read 5 business books. I hate business books. I think they are basically all the same. In the end, they all say the same basic things. I am not saying that I already know everything, it just seems that being passionate and doing the right thing is what business really requires. But, I am going to read a few more because there must be something there.
16. Do 5 CX races. I used to think they were stupid. I mean why ride a road bike over pseudo mountain bike terrain? In the end, that is exactly why. It is the wrong tool for the job.
17. Ride Whole Enchilada. Duh. Check it.
18. Ride Whistler. Duh. Check it again.
19. Trim the number of bikes in my garage to:
1 mountain bike (Remedy)
1 road bike (Domane pro issue)
1 fat bike (?)
1 cyclocross bike (new disc equipped)
1 jump/pump track bike (Cam McCaul replica slopestyle bike)
Really, does a person need more than that? Some people would say yes (normally I would be one), but I am going to do my best to pull it down to this.
20. Do a road bike trip. I do like riding my road bike, and more importantly it is what Liz really really likes.
22. Master small and medium double jumps on my slopestyle bike
24. Loose weigh for better road cycling.
25. Learn to wheelie on both my favorite mountain bike and my motorcycle. I have said before that this is a genetic skill. I am going to take the year and learn to wheelie, or at least just about kill my self trying. By the end of the year, I will either wheelie or it will be a lost cause.
27. Finish my trailer. I really only need a few things.
Surface on the shelves.
Netting to hold things on the shelves
28. Take Liz and girls to NYC Liz has been all over the world, but not to NYC.
29. Change my bikes to tubeless. It is 2013, it is time to move into 2010. Now that I can do all my bikes, I am going to go there full time.
30. Ride Copper Harbor
31. Ride Cayuna Lakes
32. Ride the areas that Hansi Johnson calls the Iron range
33. Ride a race with Noah
34. Ride a race with Russel
35. Make the Gravity MTB project in Wisconsin a reality.
36. Drink more beer.
37. Get more involved with my community. Give time, get involved with a local cause directly.